27 March 2007

holy softie! (and the thanks just keep on rolling)


I just returned from the post office (and a lovely afternoon out that included good Indian food, yarn fondling, and handmade beauty products that were quite intriguing to feel and smell) after having shipped out my 100th etsy sale. I didn't realize it at the time, but when I checked my shop just now, I saw that indeed, that was it. Thanks Kate! Hope you love Magenta, your new Zaubermaus!

I'm such a sucker for personal milestones, but I have to admit, although I am really happy about my 100th sale (some might say, ecstatic, even), I am more amazed at the fact that over the last year I even made 100 squirrels and softies. Most of the body of that work I made in the last 4 to 6 months. That number doesn't include what up at the shop now, what's on my work table awaiting to be finished, nor the few pocket squirrels and softies I have sold outside of etsy. Wow. Huh, who would have thunk it? I am pleasantly surprised at myself. Sometimes I feel like such a slacker, wasting time online reading Gawker and Go Fug Yourself and The Sartorialist (thanks Diana, for reminding me how wonderful this site is - I have totally fallen in love with it all over again - and I kinda check it like 50 times a day because, you know, I'm obsessive like that) then going for a walk, getting up late then running around all day chanting like the White Rabbit while I work, taking LG out for a walk in the backyard and reading. It's good to know I've got something to show for myself here - and maybe I'm not such a slacker. I know there are other people who make 100 sales a week, and some even make 100 sales a day, so maybe that number isn't so impressive for some, but I'm holding myself to my own standards here.

With such milestones come a little bit of introspection and reassessment. I think it's time to step up my game some. My new goal for myself is to make a softie a day. Soooooooooooo, let's see how that goes.

Many MANY THANKS to everyone who has visited my etsy shop and everyone who has purchased one of my softies or pocket squirrels or any other shop goodies. Thank you all so much! And thank you for reading! :)

P.S. - The photos in the mosaic above are all from my Flickr, info as follows:
1. Nutmeg - face, 2. May - face, 3. Magenta - face, 4. Hazel - face, 5. Dolly - nose (detail), 6. Dolly - face, 7. sewasyougo-closeup, 8. sew as you go - DONE!, 9. Nellie the Newt - in a chair, 10. Stuart the Squirrel - face, 11. Charlie the Squirrel, 12. Tulane the Kitty, 13. Ziggy the Zaubermaus closeup, 14. critters in progress on board, 15. critters - ready for their details, 16. critters - hallo there!, 17. critters - Fiddly the zaubermaus overhead, 18. critters - awaiting parts, 19. alien, 20. critters - happy together, 21. critters - Roy the squirrel, 22. Manny the mantis, 23. critters - Bob-O & ZeeZee, 24. Manny the mantis- preying on LG, 25. squirrel #9, 26. squirrel #8 - flip, 27. squirrel #12 - flip, 28. squirrel #12, 29. Squirrel for Amanda, 30. big blue squirrel, 31. valentine dolls, 32. fishies! (2), 33. birdy cat toy, 34. love squirrels, 35. happy smiley bunny - front, 36. happy kitschy bunny - face detail

10 comments:

domesticat said...

Congrats! That IS a wonderful achievement. Here's to 100 more!

sarah said...

Wowy wow wow! That's a lot of sewing! Congratulations on the grand achievement!

rose said...

as a fan of the arbitrary marker of achievement myself, i just wanted to say congrats! your work is adorable, and i can't wait to see what you do next!

grumperina said...

Kitty sends her congratulations by gnawing on the stuffed fishie you made her. :)

diana said...

Many, many congratulations on the 100th sale!

Go Manny!

georgia said...

congratulations on the milestone! you are my favorite softie-ologist :)

Christy said...

Congratulations. You really do a great job; I'm glad you are committing to it even more.

Greeley said...

Happy Centime! (When I was a kid I was a little compulsive about a lot of things, including counting raindrops, events, items, et cetera until I had achieved a hundred of them. When I arrived at the 100th, I would always exclaim that it was the centime! very proudly to myself. Nevermind, that it was mostly a penny's worth)

Trenchant Maiden said...

WOW!!! CONGRATS ON YOUR 100th SALE!!!!!!!

That's wonderful!! Keep up the craftiness and the craziness!! I love to come here and see who's new!!

Ashley said...

100! That is just amazing--and a clear sign that this is working out for you, I'd say. Be proud!