31 March 2007

in the sketch stage - playing with inspiration

Besides bunnies, we've got bugs going on over here, specifically a series of praying manti that I am working on. So far, I am still at the sketch stage for most. These are some of the rough sketches:



Right now, I am happy to say that I have designed a pattern and cut the fabric for my good buddy "Gongylus gongylodes," and I am working on the pattern for the Malaysian Orchid Mantis. Two out of five started and the show is in May - I can do this....

I have to say that in all my research for great photos of manti, I have come across the most amazing Macro photographer, who is a self-described "mad scientist" and also happens to collect and breed manti (as pets) - Igor Siwanowicz. Igor's photos are nothing short of breath-taking with their luscious colors and intense detail. I am so happy to have stumbled across these, not only because they have proven to be such a valuable visual resource with all their clarity and fabulous displays of the mantis' form (as though it were architecture), but also because they are so inspiring and beautiful on their own as works of art. Warning - they are not for the squeamish, so please proceed with caution.

Back to work for me. I am actually on a roll with this today....

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh my gosh--those mantises are AMAZING. The camouflage! this guy might be my favorite.

Christy said...

Oh, I can't wait to see them. Thanks for giving a glimpse of your process.