15 March 2007

sew as you go

This is my worktable on an average day:


This is my worktable whenever I go away:


I always clean it off so that no kitties sleep on the ironing board or nestle in the piles of scraps, spreading their fur like they spread their kitty-love. I would love for my everyday work table to not be so cluttered. I think I have come up with a great plan to take care of this. Do you folks remember Scrappaliscious, my scrap-happy quilt-top (that I have yet to finish - please correct Kona cotton, get here soon)? That was a great way to use up random scraps! Going forward I have decided that at the end of each work day, I am going through all my scraps and doing one of the following:
  1. cutting them into 2 1/2 inch or hopefully larger squares, to use for quilting or patchwork
  2. or using the discarded bits to make a unique, pattern-free softy, sewing as I go, which will hopefully mean that I have a new one-of-a-kind softy every day or every other day, like this one that I started the other day:

I even documented the progress of this freaky little softy, just because I thought it was so much fun to make:

5 comments:

Trenchant Maiden said...

ohmygod it's a moose? it's satan's illegitimate offspring? it's a baby goat? it's a thing with the cutest little cerebral protruberances I've ever seen? it's a it's a it's a? what is it?? well,whatever it is, it is absolutely darling!!!

Ashley said...

GASP--is he going in Etsy? I love him love him love him. Oh his weird little antlers!

knittingphilistine said...

Dude, you will clean up next Christmas. Cute, with just a dash of weird... perfect!

jenn said...

I would totally buy one just like him if you ever decide to mass produce the pattern! He is so cute!

Sonya said...

I love scrapalicious and I love that little misfit with the antlers. If it is any consolation I have to clear up or at least clear way away from the edge of my worktable - kiddies, not kitties in my case. If only fur were the problem.