21 March 2007

the "squee" heard 'round the blog


Oh. My. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDD!!!! Go here! Please! Check it out! Tell me I am not hallucinating! (Hmmmmm, I could have sworn those were shitake mushrooms or maybe baby portobello.) Manny has been selected as one of the five finalists for the animal category in the Softie Awards! And we're in excellent company there - one of Dawn's walruses is up there as is Abby's Bird #4.

I cannot believe this! I really didn't think Manny and I stood a chance, considering all the amazing softies that were in the running. I have looked through the Flickr group every day, and I have been consistently impressed with the imagination, inventiveness, humor, talent, and attention to detail I see there. There are truly a lot of fantastic softie makers out there! Thank you Therese, for organizing such a fun and friendly competition! I am so glad that this is what motivated me to get up off my butt and move forward from my sketch stage and finally make Manny, which is pretty much the toy I dreamed of having as a child.


You can go see all of the finalists for all of the categories in the Softie Awards here. Voting starts next week, so please remember to check back and vote!

10 comments:

Carolyn said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!! This is SO.EXCITING. I think Manny is easily the best in your category, and a standout overall.

Yay, Maritza!

Carolyn

Ashley said...

I knew it. Who could resist Manny?

knittingphilistine said...

Wow, that's HUGE. CONGRATS!! Manny deserves it. He's just the coolest. Now, when do you start mass-producing the little guy? You can make girl ones and boy ones with velcro-detachable-heads!

Christy said...

Wow. Congratulations. I think it is the start of OMannymania. I'll be voting for him.

abbyjane said...

Congratulations! I love Manny.

lookwhaticando said...

Maritza!!! I heart Manny and he deserves it!!! Your work is amazing and I am soooo glad to be in the category with you. xoxoxoxo

Kate said...

Congratulations - he is so original and just fantastic!

dani (pyglet) said...

Congratulations!
Manny is my absolute favourite...from all these comments it should be a landslide!
VOTE 1 MANNY!!!

seedless grape said...

Squeeeee! Congratulations!!!!! That's absolutely fabulous. Yay for you and Manny!

georgia said...

i voted for manny! he's the cutest :)