09 April 2007

goin' postal

knitterly letter swap

It's a funny thing when the staff at your local post office recognizes you and probably just might know your name (you know theirs) because you're there every day. Funnier still that despite the fact that I am there just about every day, I haven't sent anyone a letter in months and months. I rarely send letters at all, which might explain why my handwriting has degenerated into a pathetic scrawl. I like writing letters, though. I enjoy the physical act of it. However, writing a letter to a stranger can be a little awkward. I am not the most outgoing nor extroverted of sorts. In fact, some might say I am socially challenged. (Others might way I am straight up misanthropic, but you know, that's neither here nor there.) One of the things that actually appealed to me about the Knitterly Letter Swap was the fact that I would have to come out of my shell and write to someone with whom I already had some common ground as far as interests are concerned but who I otherwise didn't know from Adam (or however that expression goes). Sounds great, right? Yeah, well, I didn't really consider that I might have to talk about myself as a means of introduction. I hate writing about myself. I mean, I have no problem relating my experiences here or converting them into short stories or chatting about them with friends. It's just that I always feel like a massive douche talking to a stranger about myself when I feel they don't have the chance to get away. It's like I don't want to be that person who's going on and on about how they did this and how they went there and how fabulous they are and blah blah blah me me me. Anyway, I'm blathering really.... The point is that I sent off my Knitterly Letter today, and I feel like I am officially the biggest tool in the world because I enclosed photos of my pets. *cue the canned laughter* Yep, of - my - pets....

Anyway, I am looking forward to my Knitterly Pal's letter because I would like to think that I am a little better at responding to someone else than I am to initiating any form of contact on my own. I swear, I am the reason there are books of how to write different types of letters. Sooooooooooooo socially awkward....

On a brighter (and less stunted) note, I also sent this little guy off with a card of well wishes to a friend who is recovering from quite the boo-boo:

knitterly good wishes to a friend with a big boo-boo

3 comments:

sarah said...

I love writing letters. Something in my mailbox other than bills makes me smile! @www@

I'll totally be your pen pal! I'd even send the first letter, because I'm just nice like that.

knittingphilistine said...

You're a doll! So very sad that Georgia is outta commission for now. And, seeing your sweet little letter, I am now kicking myself for not taking part. I love that you are including a fabric sample, too. :)

domesticat said...

aw the bunny-duckling is so cute!
and i'm with you on the social thing and the letter-writing thing too. when i first asked people if i could write them a letter i was so excited at the prospect, but then when i sat down to actually do it, i had no idea what to write about, and my hand wouldn't cooperate. it was a lot harder than i thought it would be, both mentally and physically!!