19 April 2007

guess who's coming to dinner?

First Bug - guess who's coming to dinner?

I finished the first bug for the garden party, which will hopefully be part of the series I will show at the South End Open Studios in May. The pattern is based on the one for the duckies, but as you can see, I altered it and added a bunch of stuff. The head is shaped like the ducks', but the body is different. The little legs are stuffed with polyfill and also have pipe cleaners running through them so that they are more poseable and to help the little guy stand on his own. The feet have poly and pellets in order to give them some weight and help prevent him from tipping onto his face. It still takes a bit of fussing to get him to stand, but once he's up, he's good - no slipping, no tipping, no flipping. The wings are lined with interfacing, just to give them a little bit of substance. It was a lot of fun making this little guy, and I think I learned a bit about toy making in the process. There's still so much that I need to learn, however, such as putting pins or screws or something at the joints so that the arms and legs are poseable. I have to go to the library or Amazon and see what resources I can find. Speaking of books, allow my buggy friend to show you our haul from our trip to the bookstore yesterday during my break.

First Bug

P.S. - Funny thing I noticed later - the bug matches my new shoes.

15 comments:

Lisa K. said...

Oh.

First Bug is so cute I could eat him.

I've done that duck many times, but I'm not creative enough to have taken the next step to make something else! That gusseted head is sooooo satisfying spherical isn't it?!

Great job on the the buggy!

sarah said...

Maritza, that little bug makes me so happy! I love it! Gussets are still beyond me. I have a vague idea how they work, but I could never write a pattern using them. At least not now. I need to find some books that explain them or something.

Sonya said...

Hey Maritza - that little bug is so sweet, reminds me of the Doodle Bugs on Sesame Street, remember them? As far as jointed legs, Mimi Kirchner an amazing doll maker and artist posted a tutorial a while back. Here's the link:
http://mimikirchner.com/blog/archives/2007/03/hidden-button-movable-joint/

Sonya said...

It's Twiddlebugs, not Doodlebugs and really they look nothing alike, maybe just a nostalgic elision on my part or something. Nice shoes.

Julia said...

Aaaaawwww...I hope some of these little guys show up in your shop (along with more duckies!) He *does* look like the doodle bugs on Sesame Street, and he is so sweet. Your bugs are the best!

Risa said...

Oh so cute! I especially love her little shoes. And the way her arms look like she's saying "TA DA!"

sulu-design said...

That bug and his little outstretched hands are FABULOUS!

Diana said...

I love the little bug, he's got such character! All your softies are looking wonderful, Maritza!

lookwhaticando said...

Oooooh!!! I adore this little bug. Great work. Love everything about him. xoxoxo

seedless grape said...

I love the bug, too! So cute!

And your new shoes . . . FABULOUS! Where did you get them? Are they comfy?

kristin said...

EVERYTHING about this little guy is quite adorable!! the little antenas...eeeek!

Ashley said...

Do I even need to tell you how much I love this guy? I adore him. Who knew that bugs could be so awesome?

knittingphilistine said...

Love the newest addition to softie-land!

maggie said...

is that a praying mantis?! oh my goodness it is fantastic! i found you thru small fox sarah's blog...your work is incredible!

.:soplador:. said...

que lindo el grillito, la mantis total!!!