I finished the first bug for the garden party, which will hopefully be part of the series I will show at the South End Open Studios in May. The pattern is based on the one for the duckies, but as you can see, I altered it and added a bunch of stuff. The head is shaped like the ducks', but the body is different. The little legs are stuffed with polyfill and also have pipe cleaners running through them so that they are more poseable and to help the little guy stand on his own. The feet have poly and pellets in order to give them some weight and help prevent him from tipping onto his face. It still takes a bit of fussing to get him to stand, but once he's up, he's good - no slipping, no tipping, no flipping. The wings are lined with interfacing, just to give them a little bit of substance. It was a lot of fun making this little guy, and I think I learned a bit about toy making in the process. There's still so much that I need to learn, however, such as putting pins or screws or something at the joints so that the arms and legs are poseable. I have to go to the library or Amazon and see what resources I can find. Speaking of books, allow my buggy friend to show you our haul from our trip to the bookstore yesterday during my break.
P.S. - Funny thing I noticed later - the bug matches my new shoes.