07 April 2007

ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... be vewwy vewwy quiet....

I'm working away on what I'll be putting in Matt's Easter basket later tonight. Yes, I know, I am making duckies for a grown man. This is a grown man who has the softest spot in his heart for Easter. It's funny to me when I think of the vast differences between the way Matt's family gears up for Easter and the way my family did. He told me that when he was little, every Easter, he and his brother would get out of bed and follow the trail of colorful, foil-wrapped chocolate eggs to their big ol' Easter baskets. My sister and I would get dragged out of bed and thrown into some confining dresses and bonnets, primped and curled, and then get dragged to church in our little patent leather shoes, which were always too tight or too big, where we would try not to fall asleep for the next hour, thankful that Jesus rose from the dead if only so that we could finally turn on the stereo and television again because Lent was finally, finally over, until the next year where we would have to give up anything we liked for another 40 days and be all somber for that duration of time, do the stations of the cross again, and go to Good Friday's massaerobics, again. My sister was smart; she gave up cake and candies for Lent, which was easy enough and she had the added bonus of losing a pound or two at the end of Lent. I was the moron who always gave up music and television, and my mother made sure that I would strictly adhere to this. Yep, it was quite a different experience from Matt's where they didn't observe Lent and do the whole church thing. Suffice it to say, Easter is not my favorite holiday. It comes and goes, and it doesn't register for me. Yeah, yeah, rebirth and renewal are wonderful things. I get that. Matt, on the other hand, LOVES Easter. In fact, it's his favorite holiday, much to my weird amazement. So I thought this year, I would get in the spirit of things and make him an Easter basket, complete with little duckies wearing bunny ears. I haven't finished the detachable bunny ears yet, but then again, I am not finished with the duckies yet either, as you can see here:

duckies - progress overhead

I think that part of the reason I am so into this project is because ever since I got this book:

japanese nuigurumi book with pattern for duckies

which was about 6 months ago or so, I have been meaning to make the duckies. I love the duckies, with their cute little heads and their adorable little wings that look like tiny bite-sized empanadas. My hand-sewing needs to improve, but that comes with practice. I feel about hand-sewing the way I do with embroidery - I like to savor every stitch. It is so Zen and relaxing. I hate to feel rushed with it, which is why some of my stitches are so sloppy there. I'm hoping to have the third ducky finished tonight. (Yeah, wish me luck with that.)

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Those are darling--enough to block out all the poopy Easter Memories that we clearly share! (And my parents wonder why I never especially want to come home for easter.) The little empanada wings are totally precious, and I love the angle of the blue polka dot one's head--so endearing.

Ashley said...

PS--"massaerobics"? BWAH! So funny. Oh, the perils of a Catholic childhood.

Christy said...

So cute. P-funk and I just had the discussion of whether or not we would actually be holiday people after we have kids. We are both rather lackluster about most holidays now. So far our Easter plans involve making blueberry muffins and eating some jelly beans ;) Although I did make some Ukranian eggs with my classes this week.

Sonya said...

I was spared the asceticism of lent, we went to an Episcopalian church growing up, but Easter sermons were always the hands down, most boring. At least with Christmas there were all those hymns. About the ears, I almost want to see them button on, but that is rather weird - little ducks with big buttons beaned on either side.

Moe said...

We weren't the church going types either in my family, despite my mother's best efforts (there was a mutiny when I was around 8. The main arguement was that Dad never went.)

The duckies are making me swoon from the preciousness.