16 April 2007

what the bored cat did to the ironing board

You know, I love my cats. Love 'em. I am so happy to have them in my life and to share my space with them. Sometimes I think that no home is complete without a cat. Then again, sometimes, I get home from a short trip and realize that in my haste to leave I left my ironing board out. I know this is stupid of me because leaving it open would be an open invitation for the cats to take turns sleeping on it. As I turn on the lights around the apartment and take off my coat, I see what looks like an exclamation point scrawled on the board. Upon closer inspection, I see that one of the cats has taken it upon himself/herself to drag ass across my ironing board and punctuate it with a tiny but still mightily offensive present. I don't know which cat exactly was responsible for this, but I think I have a pretty good idea as to who the culprit was. ***coughcoughJJcough*** I was stunned. I laughed, because really, what can you do? I got rid of what needed to be disposed of and gingerly peeled the cover off of the board, putting it in a plastic bag to wash in the morning. However, the thought of washing this fouled object and throwing it back on my board, the board that I iron my freshly washed fabrics on, the fabrics I use to make softies and such, was thoroughly unappealing. I am usually not such a wasteful person, but I much preferred a new cover. Luckily, I remembered seeing this nifty little tutorial at the purl bee. I quickly grabbed some batting and some leftover fabric and whipped up this replacement:

ironing board with new cover

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I am now a happy camper. I am a little apprehensive about the quilting on the cover leaving creases in my ironed fabrics and stuff, but perhaps it won't be an issue at all. I did such a sloppy quilting job; my lines were not straight nor spaced evenly. I was rushing to have it done so that I could use the board in the morning. I am pleased with the way the sides cames out, however:


And it fits the bill for now. I think I am going to go ahead and get a larger, standing ironing board soon because it would really help to maximize my space on the work table. Right now, it feels a little cramped with the small ironing board and the sewing machine and the cutting mat all on the same surface. At the moment, though, I am going to celebrate my new ironing board cover....

7 comments:

sarah said...

Oh, cats. Such... wonderful little things, aren't they?! At least the necessity for invention led to something quite nice!

diana said...

much better. burn the old one.

ingrid said...

I nearly peed in my pants, laughing at your story. Seems like something my beloved Moustie would do.

Melissa said...

Hi Maritza! I stalked on over to the new blog -- hope that's okay! New banner looks HOT.

I wanted to make a spring skirt out of that fabric when I saw it online at Purl Patchwork -- do you think it'd work, or is it too heavy???

Ashley said...

I totally second Diana's suggestion. And I'd make a "cats are gross" crack here, except that I came home to find that Bailey had emptied the contents of my bathroom wastebasket all over the floor, so I think I'll generalize that to "pets are gross."

The new ironing board cover, OTOH? Totally adorable. Much cuter than gross pets.

Julia said...

Cats: Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. I love the top picture of the sheepish looking kitty looking all small. haha!
By the way, your banner is so cute! How did you make it? I can never figure out how to do banners.

Sonya said...

I consider myself a not wasteful sort, but I would also draw the line there. You: get a new cover, use fabric, make room for new fabric.