21 April 2007

works in progress - the doll quilt swap edition

doll quilt swap - doll quilt #1

When I was a student at that art school that shall not be named*, whenever we had to submit sketches for a Concepts class, I always presented more than one. In fact, I often had several ideas to choose from, and more often than not, my sketches were almost as good as a finish, they were that developed and worked out. The teachers loved the fact that the sketches were as good as a finished piece in terms of quality and substance, but the thing they sometimes warned me about was that I was presenting too many options and needed to boil it down really to one or two that were standout ideas. There were some teachers that encouraged cranking out a ton of ideas, but when it came to critiques, they really wanted you to only present one or two of your best sketches. As usual, I was a little scattered and couldn't narrow it down to just one or two things. Perhaps it was my own insecurities that made me just throw it all up there for the audience to choose from rather than trusting my own judgement and going with what I believed was my best piece.

doll quilt swap - doll quilt #2

Anyway, for this doll quilt swap, I pretty much did the same thing I always do. I made three quilt tops, and once I quilt everything today and bind them tomorrow, I will then decide which one looks best and send that on to my swap-partner. Now what to do with the other two.... I took some illuminated shots of them because I love that effect. The top one is just a basic checkerboard design. The second one was inspired by my own Scappalicious quilt top (that my lazy ass has yet to quilt and bind since I got the fabric I needed about a month ago). And the third one is inspired by this wonderful little doll quilt by Liesl of disdressed. I will post more about this later, once they are finished. For now, as you can see, they are still works in progress.

doll quilt swap - doll quilt #3

doll quilt swap - #3 laid flat

doll quilt swap - #1 and #2 on ironing board

* I do not name that art school for my own paranoid reasons. I recently made the mistake of checking my Google stats, which was the dumbest thing I could do, and I learned that I have a contingent of readers or perhaps just one faithful reader who use the server at said school. This, of course, made me really paranoid because it made me wonder if the school was keeping tabs on me. This is why I hate checking stats.

12 comments:

sarah said...

They are all crazy cool! And if you look at my blog, I nominated your creative behind for an award! Your whole body can accept it, but its really for your behind. Or something. I'm silly today.

Sonya said...

I look on flickr and thought it was scrapalicious, now I see that I am wrong, way wrong. But you know, after watching far too many special features on DVDs, you are not in bad company in the many finished proofs department. Maybe it's the panes that pushed me to the filmic corollary. But I won't be of any help, because I love them all.

sulu-design said...

Whichever quilt you end up sending, you have one lucky swap partner. They're all fabulous.

FemiKnitMafia said...

Wow. Beautiful! Your swap pal is a very lucky person.
And what's this about Google stats? The paranoid part of me needs to know ... pray tell?

Lisa K. said...

How different they look when backlit!

Backlit, frontlit, whichever way you look at 'em, they're great!

You must have a ton of fabric. I love 'em all.

Anonymous said...

I've gotten a few visitors from the federal government. Kinda scary. Also? Stop using my taxes to surf crafting blogs! Get to work!

seedless grape said...

All of them are beautiful, as always. All your work is so inspiring!

How do you decide how you're going to arrange all the different pieces? Is there any method to the madness? I'm really intrigued by quilting, but I'd be at a total loss as to how to actually put one together.

Christy said...

Wow, those are all so beautiful. Oh and I saw your reply to "anonymous" in my Google reader. And go you! I personally loved your reply. In my eyes,it definitely falls into the righteous anger category. It is so great that you are really going for your own business and no one has the right to attack you for it.

grumperina said...

I think the anonymous poster was "speaking" to visitor from the government, not you. Having received hits from there, he/she wondered how this might be his/her taxes at work.

Ashley said...

Wow, just wow on these quilts. The only thing I can say is, good grief, I wish I were a doll. Maybe Bailey needs a doll quilt?

Alina Chau said...

lovely quilt!

annette said...

found you through sew mama sew - what lovely work you do. The "ladder" version is my favourite. I look forward to visiting again - for more inspiration!