21 May 2007

and now for a huge sigh of relief....

The SOWA Art Walk/Open Studios went extremely well. Our work got a positive response, and we got to meet a bunch of the artists in the building. We're even doing it again in September; we will be subletting Randy Garber's studio for the month.

Buggy Circle



All of the softies sold, with the exception of the items that were on reserve for some folks and one Zaubermaus and one Garden Variety Partier. Those two will go up on my etsy shop later this week. People really responded to the softies, in particular the Secret Agent Lovebugs. Of course, it definitely helped that one of the building's property managers was one of my first customers, and he was so smitten with his buggy friend that he told everyone else in the building about it. It was extremely cool of him to do that, and he pretty much set the pace for us, which was fantastic. We had a pretty good amount of people in the studio, despite the rain. There were some quiet spots, but overall, there was a pretty steady stream of visitors.


I was surprised that the patchwork canvases didn't sell, but hopefully they will sell on etsy. People did seem to like them, but they just didn't move. The pocket squirrels didn't do very well either, but I kind of suspected they wouldn't go over too well with a more art-oriented crowd. Besides, it is something that kind of baffles me - the way the squirrels sell very well on etsy but don't do as well in person. I also didn't realize this:

pocket squirrels

Here's a quick story that I would like to share, and you'll see, it's relevant to this. When I first met Matt, he was coming in to interview at the gallery where I was working as the receptionist. Considering that the last person who had his job turned out to be a pervo-psycho freak who had no problem with giving himself the day off on his third day on the job and who was strangely obsessed with his mother (total Norman Bates - seriously, if you can tell someone is obsessed with Mommy after only speaking with them for 30 seconds, perhaps their home needs to be searched for bodies), Matt was hired on the spot. When I was filing his resumé, I took a peek and almost hurt myself laughing. He had misspelled "license." I couldn't believe it. Normally, this gallery took pride in its stringent interview process and how they didn't just hire anyone. They practically made me walk over hot coals to get the lowest, most debasing job there. Yet they hired Matt despite this glaring error. I called over a couple of people, and we laughed viciously, tsk-ing to ourselves over how the gallery must have hit hard times and "woah, this guy's a moron." Of course, once he actually started working there, he proved himself to be one of the most valuable employees there and probably the best art handler/ installer the gallery had in a long time, and everyone loved him. But I still snickered to myself over how he couldn't even spell "license" - "that fool." Hey, I was the receptionist. I got pooed on all day; I had to feel better about my position somehow. Four years later, I ended up marrying him, despite his spelling abilities or lack thereof. It doesn't matter to me anymore. In fact, I thought it was so sweet that he made a little sign for the squirrels for me, since it was a detail I had overlooked, that I didn't mind the fact that he called them "pocket squirells." I just laughed about it and left the sign up. It was cute - what can I say?

Speaking of silliness, Saturday morning, I was so exhausted from staying up all night because of a very sick Mali, that as I sat there looking at the table, I noticed that Manny:

Manny looks like Holly Golightly

bore a bit of a resemblance to Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly:


It's that expression, I swear! Yes, I was extremely tired, and this was before I had had any coffee. I still do think that Manny looked like he was about to dish some serious gossip. Anyhoo.... Moving right along....

I would like to extend a HUGE thank you to Greeley for helping out on Saturday and Diana and grumperina for stopping by with their folks. Thanks to all of our friends who stopped by - Beba, Alex, Ryan, Phil & Nicole. Thanks to John Kiger for helping to spread the word about us. Thanks to everyone who bought a softie or a print or who stopped by and gave us some sort of support/response. Thanks to everyone who dropped by to have a look. Thank you all!!! And a ginormous thank you to Bob Oppenheim for lending us his studio and allowing us this opportunity. Thanks a million Bob! This was so much fun, and I am really looking forward to doing it again in the Fall.

12 comments:

Greeley said...

I had a super time, thanks for the invitation. All day I've been raving about the quality of the open studios I visited. It's a great event. Happy to hear it was successful and that you'll show again in the fall.

How's Mali?

Lisa K. said...

Congrats on a successful show, Maritza! After all of the work, it must be nice to have had such a good experience.

SO cute about the misspelled (did I spell that right?) sign!

Hope your puppy gets to feeling better!

Risa said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad to hear it went well.

Steph said...

*clapping* congratulations! I had no doubt it would go well :-)

Christy said...

Congratulations, it sounds like all your hard work paid off in a resounding success. You deserve it.

Ashley said...

Oh, I'm so glad it went well! Not that I ever thought it wouldn't. And you should tell Matt that I have a PhD in English and I have never once in my life spelled license right on the first try--it's always lisence.

Is Mali better? and when are the canvases going up on Etsy? My budget is tight this month, but if they're in range, one of them will totally be mine!

Sonya said...

So glad to hear everything went swimmingly! During emails early on in the relationship, my Mr. would (and still does) spell surprise with a 'z' but who am I to judge, since I lean very heavily on the old spell checker. Take care and Mali too!

sulu-design said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you and your well-deserved success!

Marisa said...

Maritza, I keep seeing your work everywhere. I love it. Your little creatures are so cool

Sarah said...

Is Mali feeling any better? I've been worried about the little fluff ball! And I'm so proud of you for having such a great show! Everything looks so wonderful! I knew you could do it!

Manny/Audrey is cracking me up and bringing a much needed smile to my otherwise pained expression of late! Thanks for that!

amisha said...

congratulations on a successful show!! so glad that the softies were a hit... how could they not be? :) it sounds like a fantastic event and i wish i could have been there in person.
so cute about the squirrels too :) and i agree that manny looks like holly... and i had my coffee. maybe i need another cup.

Li said...

Congrats on your show! I wish I could have been there -- but if you're doing it again in Sept I'll be sure to make it. Since I'll be living in the neighborhood and all :)
Love the Manny "Holly Golightly" pose.