14 July 2007

doll quilt swap 2 - progress report

I have finished the top for my doll quilt for the swap. The inspiration for this hit me when I was walking Mali. We walked past a house with a Japanese garden, and I started daydreaming about Japanese craft/zakka books I have seen in the past. There was this one book on patchwork, in particular, that I was especially smitten with. I can't remember what the title is, and I keep looking for it on eBay to no avail. All I remember is that it had the most beautiful patchwork designs, very clever, pretty stuff that was both traditional and fresh at the same time. There was this one pattern in it for some sort of cozy or mat with little crosses in a bright mix of colors and prints. Ultimately, that was the kind of project I was looking for - one where I could sublimate my OCD desire for tiny piecing and also come up with something with a crisp, contemporary edge to it.

I have to admit, I had a lot of fun working on this top. Once I figured it out, it was a breeze, and I enjoyed working with these colors. Pretty much the entire time I was piecing and ironing, I was thinking to myself, "Awwwwww yeah! Woohoo!" That's how much I liked working on the top. I am going to start the reverse side shortly, which will consist of a couple of crosses on an ivory background. I am really hoping to have this quilted by Sunday evening so that I can bind it by Monday and send it out by Tuesday. The 18th is soon approaching - only four days away now.

My only problem is that I am still a little unsure as to whether or not this might be suited to my partner's tastes. I mean, I didn't want to make her a quilt that she would make for herself because where's the fun in that? Personally, if I wanted a quilt done in my exact style, then I wouldn't be swapping with anyone - I'd make it for myself and that's that. That said, I also don't want to present her with something that she would never dream of putting up in her living space and that will hide in the bottom of some box or possibly end up re-gifted or swapped out for something else. I want her to like this. I want her to love this. Frankly, I am scared that this design is too boring and staid for her tastes. I don't know. What do you think? Too plain? Too conservative? Too static? Or kinda fun? I hate feeling this insecure over a project.

11 comments:

Ashley said...

Now I know you're not my partner, because you have to know that I would love that quilt to bits if it were for me. Seriously: I can't imagine anyone not liking it. It's gorgeous.

I also feel like if people don't specify what they want, they're truly open to anything. So cut yourself some slack--you've made something beautiful, and whoever is on the receiving end will be lucky to have it.

grumperina said...

Stop being insecure - it's beautiful and fun!

sarah said...

I love it, Maritza! My quilt for the last swap was something I wouldn't have made for myself and seeing it in pictures, was not even one of my favorites. When it came, I fell in love! So, have faith, dear one. It will be appreciated!

Haley said...

i'm not a quilter, but i love the quilt you are making. i love the uniqueness of the cross design and your great use of both solid and patterned fabrics. it's lovely!

Old School Acres said...

I think it's beautiful. I bet in person the colors are even more lovely. Anyone would be thrilled to get this!

futuregirl said...

No matter what I make for my swaps, I worry that it's not 'right' or good enough. I think those feelings just come with the swapping territory.

That said, I bookmarked this post days ago because I was TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY my this mini quilt. I didn't have time to read your post until today, and I was totally surprised that you were worried your swap partner wouldn't like it.

It's a fun and amazing quilt. If I ever get into quilting, this will be my first pattern, because it's so cool looking. I also am in awe of your color choices. So simple and clean, yet edgy and modern. I totally love everything about this mini quilt.

Julia said...

This is so cool! Before I read your post I thought I would leave a comment on how beautiful and interesting-looking it is. So I'm not just being encouraging, haha ;)
I love the colors and the unique pattern.

Christy said...

Beautiful. Modern yet peaceful. It is great.

Steph said...

It's beautiful and I can't imagine anyone not loving it. The colors and design are wonderful...you have such a great eye!

Lynn said...

Your quilt looks so great! I think you are the last person that needs to be worried about if your partner would like your project. Who wouldn't love that quilt? By the way, you aren't my partner for DSQII, but if would be super SUPER nervous to make a quilt for you... your stuff is seriously inspiring.

Louise said...

WOW - stunning - who wouldn't want this beautiful quilt. Lucky, lucky partner. This is definitely one of my faves.