30 July 2007

so is hiking supposed to be fun?

Mali yawning

Pretty much sums up my sentiments. We are back from the Berkshires, which was fun, albeit exhausting. I have learned one extremely valuable lesson:
When someone suggests a hike and says, "It's only five miles," always ask, "What's the elevation?"
I have learned that a five mile hike can feel like 12 miles if the elevation is as steep as the slopes in the caverns of hell. Seriously, I thought I wasn't going to make it. Yeah, I'm a wuss like that. I'm still hurting. Over the last few days, we did a few hikes through some gorgeous land, including one through Beartown State Forest, which was like a mycologist's dream with its many varied and beautiful mushrooms, like my favorite seen below:

We spent a rainy Saturday at The Clark Museum, where I oohed and ahhed over this painting for probably way too long. It's the Moroccan hexagon tiled floor that killed me. Sargent always makes my heart beat a little faster with joy, and seeing this work in person was wonderful.

Now that we're back from la-la land, it's back to work. While away, I managed to cut pieces for a whole bunch of new softies, but there will be more on that later, I promise. I leave you with this shot of the water:

lake garfield

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

P.S. - That last hike that proved so difficult for me? Not a bother on Mali, who forged ahead of us all, leading us along the trail like a little scout. I swear, there were times, I felt like I was running to keep up with him. I love my little hiking dog.

6 comments:

lookwhaticando said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun and got some great exercise. xoxoxo

sarah said...

When someone asks me to go on a hike, I always ask, "You have met me before, right?" Because really... I'm an indoor kind of girl. But I totally dig that little purple mushroom. And I'm glad you had such a good time!

Liz Harvatine said...

I wish I could say that I enjoy hiking but really, I find it pretty miserable. The only thing worse is backpacking, hiking while carrying a bunch of crap. I'll never do that again!

Haley said...

did you just use the word mycologist? you go girl. anyway, your dog is adorable.

Ashley said...

Oh, MALI! He's so tough! So outdoorsy! He's about to go off and hike the Appalachian Trail on his own!

As for me, I'm with you: five mile hike? That seems a lot harder than sitting by that gorgeous lake...

sulu-design said...

I loved this post and I'm forwarding it to my husband who needs to learn a lesson about being honest about elevation before he takes me on a hike or run. I almost decided to turn around and leave Portland on our first day here after he dragged me on a "little jog" up a mountain. Ugh. Oh, yes - gorgeous photos as always!