18 July 2007

ta-daaaaaaaaaa!

My doll quilt is ready and set to go out the door for the swap. All I have to do is attach the label, which will hopefully only take me a few minutes. It was hard taking a decent photo of this little number for two huge reasons: a) it has been super-over-cast all morning, which means all we're getting is a pale gray light into the apartment, and b) the quilt kinda turned into a SharPei after I washed it. Why did I wash it when it looked so good before the washing?

Exhibit A: the doll quilt before washing (please excuse the artificial lighting there):

before washing

reverse - before washing

Exhibit B: after being washed:

After I finished the binding last night, which didn't take me long at all and was, as always, a peaceful and even joyful process (as it means I am almost finished), I noticed there were a few errant cat hairs on the doll quilt. Every time I picked them off, they seemed to reappear. Then I noticed the little gray smudge right smack dab in the middle of the reverse side. And then, I saw another teeny smudge on one of the corners. Let me just say here that at this point, I had fallen in love with the quilt. After quilting this puppy, it looked so good, and I was extremely pleased with the results thus far. It was fun to quilt it and unlike any other quilting I have done to date. I felt pretty confident that my partner would love it because I knew that if I saw this on someone else's blog, I would totally love it and want it for myself. However, once I noticed these little blemishes, there was no way I could send it off without a washing or just something so that it didn't look like I had used the doll quilt to wipe down furniture or something equally awful. So I hand-washed it, pressed it to get rid of excess water and threw it in the dryer. I don't know if the dryer part was the wrong and bad element or what. All I know is that it came out of there looking a bit... wrinkly. Which is nice, on one hand, because it makes the quilt look all antiqued and special. In fact, a couple of Hillary's lovely doll quilts are oh-so-beautifully wrinkled, and I was head over heels in love with them when I saw them. Then I got a little scared because there's a fine line between wrinkled and puckered. Please don't tell me this is puckered....

after washing

It looks... puckered....


Anyway, the sad thing is that the photos really don't do the quilt, or the quilting, or even the wrinkling, any justice. I love it. I hope my partner does, too. And in case she doesn't, I am right here, right now offering a guarantee. Swap Partner, if you are not 100% satisfied with this doll quilt, please return it to me and I will make you another one as per your specific request (like, if you would rather have log cabin squares or something more contemporary and artful or just something less wrinkly). I mean it. Because I like this too much to imagine it in the bottom of a box in someone's closet.

I leave you all with the requisite see-through shot:

at least it's pretty when the light shines through it

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, I loved this project....

i love binding

21 comments:

Maggi said...

I would SO love this quilt! Maybe I'll get it! Even though I didn't wash mine, I like the lived-in look, and so many of us on the discussion noted that's exactly why they wash ~ This would look lovely in my bedroom . . .

Ashley said...

Definitely wrinkled, not puckered. I've already drooled all over this little number on Flickr, but for the record: LOVE.

Lisa K. said...

Woo-HOO (clapclapclapclapclap) *WHISTLE* (clapclapclapclapclap)...

Yay, you! When you first posted your quilt in progress, I just knew it would be a real gem. May I pretty please steal your idea? I have a bunch of fabrics waiting to be made into a doll quilt, not for the swap, and I'd love to try your technique.

I think it looks exactly right. And it's not puckered. It's crinkly!

Amy said...

I second Lisa's Woo-Hoo. It's awesome!

grumperina said...

I don't know about wrinkled, and I don't know about puckered, but that thing looks like a quilt... what I imagine the quintessential quilt should look like! Beautiful!

Steph said...

I didn't know 'puckered' was a bad thing? Well, whatever the texture is, I think it looks wonderful and the way I'd want my quilts to look after I washed them. I looove the back design! I'm sure your recipient will be over the moon, I know I would be! Your aesthetic is fantastic.

Mama Urchin said...

I agree with Lisa. Crinkled, not a pucker in sight.

sarah said...

I LOVE IT! So beautiful. I find it amazing that the fabric my eye goes to most is the cream with the big turquoise circles and not the orange, which I thought would be the big contrast. Lovely!

AmberCake said...

Wow - I think it's gorgeous. And the quiltiness of it post-wash is great, and quilty, and not at all "puckery," just like a great great quilt.

Artsy Momma said...

I will selfishly offer my home as a foster home if needed *smile* I love the "puckering" for me it adds this great look to the quilt.

Not Lucy said...

I would be more than happy to have this little beauty in my home. It is a little disconcerting when you wash a quilt and it becomes crinkly but it does give it the 'lived-in' look so it's ok. Again, I would be more than happy to have it come to my house!

cristina said...

OMG, grrrrrl....it's looks amazing!! nice work. great colors.

Julia said...

Looks like standard quilt qrinkling to me!! I just love it...the modern colors, the design, the cute binding...it's adorable.

Louise said...

Fantastic, I just love how it has come out. It definitely looks more quilty after the wash. I would be thrilled to receive it!!!

isabel f. said...

looks gorgeous!!!

kris said...

ta-da indeed! it's beautiful, gorgeous, amazing. and definitely wrinkled, not puckered.

Liz said...

I'm sure she will love it - I would!

Charlie said...

Definitely wrinkly, in the best kind of way. The colours and pattern are gorseous. How did you piece the quilt together? I'm going to give the doll quilt swap a go in the autumn - and this is lovely and inspirational.

diana said...

Wrinkled, but not puckered. LOVE IT!

Haley said...

GORGEOUS! Looks even more incredible finished than it did when it was in process. WOW! LOVE IT! Love the photo with the light shining through. Doubly gorgeous.

Malka Dubrawsky said...

Beautiful, beautiful. I just saw this on flickr and had to come over and read more about it. A really lovely quilt.