01 August 2007

i'm full of questions today


How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck would chuck wood?

For all you fellow bloggy folks who use Typepad, Squarespace, and Wordpress, what are the advantages of using one of those over Blogger? Are you happy with the services you are getting? Is it worth what you pay for it? I am pretty happy with Blogger overall, especially now that it's so super-user-friendly. However, I know that the way my formatting looks on my Mac through Firefox is not how it comes across on every browser (SO many incompatibilities with IE, it seems - this page truly looks like crap on IE). I am wondering if it's better to have a website devoted to the softies and just have the blog be an extension of that. I kinda like the idea of having a gallery of softies right there on the site (on its own page) so that anyone who is interested in buying or commissioning or putting in an order for a shop can easily see my work. I know I have my Flickr sets, but maybe having a page that I design right there might be a little easier? Hmmmmm.... Sorry, I'm thinking aloud again. Anyway, what are your experiences with these other blog hosts? What are their advantages and/or disadvantages?

Also, can anyone recommend a place to get labels made (like labels to attach to the softies that read "soto softies")? Sarah recommended someone on etsy, which thanks again, Sarah, I appreciate it. I just want to have a few options. I am looking to get labels made so that I can attach them to my Plush You submissions and all the softies I will be making for our Open Studio coming up in September. Production starts now!

P.S. - Woody is just the beginning. He is the first of a series of woodland critters I am working on at the moment. He will not be going up in my etsy shop, however. He is going to be one of the pieces included in the open studios. He does have some friends who might be heading to the etsy shop on Saturday, if anyone is interested. :)


sarah said...

Um. I love Woody. Love.


Also, I love typepad. I think it's more customizable and I just like it. I pay for the $80/year or &8.95 per month option, which gives you the ability to make 3 blogs. If you pay for the one up, you can make unlimited blogs and have ads and stuff... but it's almost twice as much. I like my option best.

.:soplador:. said...

esta muy muy liiindooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

grumperina said...

I think Woody is my favorite softie to date! It's that wood print fabric. Can't wait to see what's in the Etsy shop!

lookwhaticando said...

ah hem...um....we really want a woody...sorry couldn't resist.
Seriously...I really want to get one of these guys...I love that fabric and have a tiny bit. So cool.

Ashley said...

Swoon. Love him. LOVE HIM.

Re: blogs, I was much happier after switching to Wordpress from blogger. More customizable, more features, but most imptly, way fewer hiccups/glitches. You get what you pay for with blogger for sure.

What was the etsy seller for labels? I need new ones--that stupid duckling on mine is the bane of my existence. But I want someone who will let me use my own font.

Alice said...

Woody is the cutest ever!

Liz Harvatine said...

Yes! I love him too! I also think he is my favorite of yours. What a cute and funny way to use that fabric!

Ashley said...

PS Everything looks like crap on IE. Anyone still using IE deserves to have a crappy experience, though, in my opinion.

and Typepad does have that cool gallery feature--that's something I wish Wordpress had....

Jenna said...

What a great use of that woodgrain fabric. Very clever.

Old School Acres said...

Aw, Woody is a cutie! *smooch* Woody!

Here are some other label makers:



I've not ordered any yet. I can't decide what I want.

Laura said...

Woody is amazing. I am so excited to see your woodland creatures. I hope Woody's brother, cousin, or sister makes it to the etsy shop Saturday.

cristina said...

i was going to suggest namemaker...i hear they're pretty awesome.

in terms of blogger v. typepad - i wouldnt go back. i love typepad - it's awesome. ALTHOUGH - i had a lot of glitchy annoying problems w/ blogger that you dont seemt to have. i love the idea of you having a dedicated gallery of softies - but i like the idea of keeping it together with your blog. only because its really neat to see how your life + daily inspirations influence your work. so....i dont know. Typepad has the ability to great galleries + you have unlimited blogs with typepad.
what i mean, is you could have:

the 2nd being a completely different site or blog with a totally different look if you want.

ingrid said...

I can't answer any of your questions, but I just had to pop in to say, "Holy crap, Woody is the cutest creation I've ever seen." He melts my heart.

Lolly said...

Woody is so damn cute. You may not realize that he is also perfect for the new colors of Project Spectrum - brown and orange! love it :)

FemiKnitMafia said...

Oh, I LOVE that woodgrain print!

Let us know what you decide re: labels. I've been meaning to get some too.

Will we see you tonight?