17 September 2007

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it's over....

thank you

Huge thanks to everyone who made it out to the Open Studio over the weekend. It was great to see you all. Thanks for showing up and checking it out. Thanks to everyone who emailed and left comments and sent us their well-wishes and support. You guys are the best! We really appreciate all the encouragement.

Although we did not experience a resounding success this weekend, we did meet our goals, both individually and collectively. And more importantly, we made a ton of connections and met lots of people. Matt's work was enthusiastically received. He got a lot of positive feedback and made a good amount of sales. For the most part, people seemed excited by my work, but I do feel I would have gotten a better reception at a craft fair. There was a small amount of art-snobbery. Or perhaps I'm just letting the two people who had something negative to say color my experience, which I really shouldn't because a) really, who the hell lacks such etiquette that they would say nasty stuff about someone's work in front of them? Perhaps they are not as "cultcha'd" as they would like to believe they are if they don't have enough art-viewing experience (not to mention common sense and respect for others' work) to know a thing or two about gallery-etiquette, b) one was actually not being nasty but just sharing her experience when she said that she found that making softies wasn't worth the time or effort she put into it, and c) almost everyone who walked into our studio commented on how fun and refreshing it was to stumble upon us, after they were done squealing or squeeing or oohing or laughing and hugging and squishing the softies. The positive response to my work far outweighed the negative, by leaps, bounds, and buckets. So I feel good about that much.

Just as I anticipated from the get-go, a little less than half of my softies sold, so I have updated the shop today. It's funny because I knew the woodchucks would sell well at the Open Studio, but I had a feeling that the penguins wouldn't do as well. It's interesting to see what sells well in person vs. what does better in the shop and what is more appealing to the art crowd vs. what appeals to the crafting community. Matt and I were joking around about making a Venn diagram to illustrate this. I think I will just because it's intriguing to me. For example, we noticed that men were particularly drawn to the woodchucks, whereas women loved the mini-manti. Half the zaubermausi sold right away, wheres they don't sell as fast online. And I noticed that the hand-sewn items were not as thoroughly appreciated in person as they are within the blog and Flickr communities and that they were regarded in the same manner as the machine-sewn pieces. (I did have a couple of folks who did appreciate them and who complimented me on the stitching and the design; they made my day.) Anyway, I think this is my long-winded way of saying, "There are penguins in the shop!" Please check 'em out.

I will add the mini-manti and Maggy to the shop later in the week. I'm a little beat right now and don't want to sit in front of the computer all day. Thanks again, you guys!

9 comments:

Ashley said...

I am really glad to hear that you met your goals! That's satisfying. I wonder if they guys were into the woodchucks because of the wood-grain print? That seems like a guy thing to me--although that didn't stop me from grabbing Vince! I really was torn between him and the penguins.

enjoy your relaxation. and then maybe we should revisit that quiltalong, hmm? I have made exactly four squares of mine :)

sugarcreekstuff said...

There are always going to be nasty people out there, commenting on the work or the price or anything really. Chalk it up to a bad childhood and don't take it personally (easier said than done). We crafty bloggers love your work and have your back.

Christy said...

Congratulations! It really sounds like a success. I do really hate it when that one person says something that gets stuck in my head more than the great things. I loved watching you work towards this, so I'm glad it went well.

Mama Urchin said...

It sounds like overall it was a good thing and we'll be happy to snatch up the leftovers. Now to decide....

JulieFrick said...

Hope you're feeling the love out here! And I may have sent some folks your way through my post last night, as Tulane made a star appearance. Check out how perfectly he coordinates with Ashley's quilt. It's a match made in softie heaven.

Melissa said...

I am so happy for you! I was waiting to hear bout the experience this weekend and so happy that it was an overall positive experience. I'm just sorry I couldn't stop by and hang out!

Preita said...

I remember the days when I was solely a portrait artist. Other artists would look down on me because it wasn't "creative" enough. Whatever, it paid the bills at the time. I love your work and I think anyone rude enough to say anything negative in front of the artist should be slapped by miss manners :P

Michal said...

great crads! and congrats on your first craft show. nasty people aside, it's a great experience. good job!

sulu-design said...

I really appreciate hearing your post-open studio feelings. I'm glad to hear that people were so responsive to your work. And I'm sorry to hear about the negative Nancies. I can't believe how thoughtless some people can be. Poo on them.
For the first time this weekend, I sold my pieces in person, and I don't think it's for me. While it's nice to hear the positive response, I way too awkward to know how to receive it well. And it's really hard not to reply to the obnoxious comments. I admire people who can comfortably sit with their work while it's on display for others.
It sounds like the open studio was a success overall, and I wish you and Matt many more!