06 September 2007

hand-stitching for sanity

and the penguins begin their march

You know what's a dangerous and volatile combination? Running a ton of errands on an empty stomach + taking more time than you originally thought you needed to run said errands because what you thought would be an easy one-stop in-and-out procedure has turned into a mad hunt for the right sewing machine light bulb + not being able to locate said light bulb even after visiting 6 different shops which are all in different neighborhoods = one shaky, pissed off, cracked-out looking-and-feeling me about to pass out in Harvard Yard while trying to walk around a group of very tall, storky-looking entitled turds who were seemingly oblivious to the fact that they were walking too slowly and hogging up the whole sidewalk (and that just maybe there were people behind them trying to get around their stank'o'privileged asses). Scary things happen when my blood-sugar level drops, my friends. In this case, I guess it wasn't so scary as I refrained from saying anything but just flipped them the long, lean bird right in their faces when I finally managed to walk around them, head spinning and bile rising. I haven't experienced this type of aggression since flipping off some MDB* in Grand Central Station who plowed into me and almost knocked me down while he was running to get off the Metro North platform and onto the IRT. Harvard Yard feels like the outdoors, academic version of Grand Central sometimes, because everyone is just flying through it super-fast to get to whatever class or job awaits them. I like that about it because I just go into auto-pilot and zoom through myself. I like walking fast, and I like walking with a purpose. So it suits me perfectly. I failed to notice that at the start of the new school year, there a ton of kids from out-of-town starting their first year who have no idea where exactly they are going yet. I need to be patient, and normally, I am. These kids, however, reeked of entitlement and happened to catch me at the wrong time. Oh how very wrong it was. I am feeling a little better now. I had a savory scone as a very belated lunch, so at least I am not shaking and feeling nauseous anymore. The scone didn't help as far as the sewing machine light bulb situation goes. I have to bite the bullet and go to Sears and cross my fingers that they have it (my machine is a Kenmore - what a dumb choice to make on my part as I should have known that Sears would make it difficult to find parts).

Did I mention I was planning to sew the big surprise and centerpiece for my Plush You! entry tonight? Yeah, that's what I was planning to do. Fortunately, there's always a back-up plan, and in this case it is to stitch up all the penguin bits you see in the fuzzy photo above. So that's all I'm doing tonight. I'm hoping that a finished penguin or two might make me feel a little better because right now, I am one stressed-out puppy.

*MDB = major douche-bag.

Side rant - Normally, I hate when people abbreviate things and just use initials. It's lazy, dumb, and thus begins the degeneration of language. I loathe the use of DH as "dear husband." Seriously, you have no idea how much it irks me. It is like fingernails dragging across the chalkboard of my soul. It makes me want to repudiate marriage, that's how much I hate that term and its usage. As much as I love Matt, I will never refer to him as my DH because I think it's fucking lame to do so. He is Matt, a multi-layered person, much more than just a DH. In this case, however, I didn't want to scream "Major Douche-bag!!!!" on my blog for fear of offending any delicate sensibilities and ended up using initials instead. Ew. I will avoid doing so in the future.

9 comments:

Artsy Momma said...

thank you for the "mini-rant" on the DH, I too cannot stand that abbreviation in particular, I wont use it even if all the "cool" people are doing it.

diana said...

Amen to every part of this rant.

sarah said...

I find your use of douche bag endearing. And it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one who still uses said phrase.

If I had been as pissy as you, I probably would have tapped the bastages on the shoulder and when they stopped, made my way through. I hate people sometimes.

But I love you. Feel better! Oh! Sears probably has your bulb. If not, I'm pretty sure they can get it to your store next day. I have a Kenmore too.

samantha said...

it made me feel so much better to see someone else ranting about stuff that annoys them. and i agree about the dear husband thing, and who calls them dear husband anyway? makes me want to vomit! hope you get your light bulb.

sulu-design said...

If I don't eat every couple of hours, I'm a scary sight, too. My sister-in-law knows this about herself as well, and she always carries cookies in her bag. Smart girl, I say. Best of luck finding what you need. And eat something yummy tonight.

Phoebe said...

I agree about the DH, it drives me nuts (as does DS and DD and D-everything else). It seems so lazy, as if it takes SO MUCH effort to type a few more letters.

sugarcreekstuff said...

I too have a blood sugar problem. It's weird that not everyone does and they just don't get it. (like my DH) just messin. I have a Kenmore and love it. Cheaper than the fansy schmancys but just as nice. If you find the bulb, stock up.

cathygaubert said...

oh my, i hear you! the "dear whatever" thing makes me throw up inside of my mouth a little bit. i know that sounds absolutley repulsive, but that pretty much sums it up. and i totally agree with artsy momma, i don't care if all the cool people are doing it (which there is no way that could possibly be true, please dear god), i won't ever! oh, and good luck at schmancy...your penguins are the best!!!

Bad Birdy said...

ROFL! I agree!