24 September 2007

i'll take inspiration over perspiration today

It's so good to be back home. I picked this Gerbera from our garden today. Apparently, the plant is still flowering. I thought it was done a couple of weeks ago, but lo and behold, I was fortunately mistaken. I love Gerberas!

One of the cool things about this weekend was spending time with my great-aunt who moved back to NYC from Florida and with my uncle, a total character (like someone straight out of Seinfeld, despite the fact that he would resent such a comment) who used to photograph for different crafty publications and for several crafty books in the 70's and 80's. He gave me this amazing book, An American Celebration: The Art of Charles Wysocki. I had not heard of this artist prior to this, but his artwork is pretty amazing. I love the folk art influence in his work:





Funny, these birds totally call to mind the beautiful paintings of Amy Ruppel:

I have been busily working away this afternoon to finish up something that I am pretty excited about over here. Let me tell you, have I got something in my pocket to share with you all tomorrow? Oooooh, I am so psyched. Right now, I am pretty tired, so I think I am calling it a night.

Oh yeah! DOH! Before I forget to tell you, Wednesday will be my shop update, which will include all the mini-manti, Maggy, and hopefully a couple of surprises. Good night, folks!

P.S. - Have you seen this yet? This silly site has made me ell oh ell. In fact, I elled em ay oh. For reals. It's pretty hysterical.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh em gee, the lolsecrets are killing me. Two great tastes that taste great together!

Shannon said...

I am excited about your shop update. I hope I'm around a computer at the right time. :)

Laura H. said...

My grandmother made several crewel (spelling?) work (stitched) pictures that are that artist's work. It is really funny, but she hung them in her bathrooms.

Mama Urchin said...

My parents are big Wysocki collectors. As a child we would be assigned things like "count all the pumpkins in that one" or "find all the birds in this one." Now my kids do the same thing.