23 October 2007

now i'm feeling zombified

zombie squirrel wants to eat your brains

Oh no! A zombie-squirrel is on the loose, and it's hungry for brains! Brains like this one:

You know, I am a little lukewarm about this project upon completion. When I was first sketching it out, I was so excited. Now that it's done, I feel like it's missing something. Should I up the gore or go hyper with the cute? This kinda walks the line (between good and evil) and as such I feel like it needs to commit to one side or the other or perhaps embrace both qualities a little more eagerly in order for it to pack that punch. Or whatever. It is kinda creepy-cute, which I am all about these days. I have a couple of other things up my sleeve that I am trying to get done in time for Halloween that I am pretty psyched about.

zombie squirrel wants to eat your brains

Also, can I tell you how much Matt and I laughed about the little squirrel scalp because it looks like a bad toupee. In fact, it reminds me of this dear old gentleman who used to work with my dad and also lived in our neighborhood. To this day, I have no idea what his name is, and I don't think my father knows either. We just know him as "Amigo" because every time he sees my dad, he comes to a dead halt, extends his hand and yells out at the top of his lungs, "Amigo!!! How are you Soto?!" My dad, who is introverted to a fault and hates having attention focused on him, would always shyly respond, "Good; how are you, Amigo?" and keep on walking, only to mutter to me as soon as we were out of earshot, "Man, that guy is crazy. Why he gotta be shouting out to me in the middle of the street? Always calling my name out like that..." What can I say? My dad embarrasses easily. It's kinda cute, too, because Amigo always refers to my sister and me as "Soto's daughters," and will say to me when I greet him, "Soto's daughter! Como estas? How is Soto doing?" Anyway, the reason I am recalling Amigo now is because for years, Amigo was notorious for having the worst toupee in the history of false hair. As if it weren't bad enough that his toupee literally looked like a rough, mangled patch of carpeting, he never put it on right, so it was always jauntily cocked to the side like a beret, exposing about an inch or two of scalp between the edge of the beret/toupee and the hairline. When his hair started to gray, instead of getting a gray toupee to match his hair, he went out and got a blonde toupee, which looked... surreal. Today, as I am looking at this little zombie squirrel's torn scalp/hair patch, I cannot help but remember Amigo (not that Amigo's brains were ever exposed, thankfully) and laugh a little and hope that he is doing well, wherever he is now. Because we heart Amigo big time for being who he is.

Enough reminiscing for now. More photos of the zombie squirrel can be found here, here, and here.

14 comments:

Ashley said...

Awww--I kind of heart Amigo too after that story. He sounds like Clarence on my block who always has a 40 and who always asks me if Bailey is a wolf. Seriously, the exact same conversation 5 days out of any given 7.

Anyhoo, I think Zombie Squirrel is just about perfect as is, although you could always go with some kind of bloody fang or something if you want to up the gross quotient.

knittingphilistine said...

my boyfriend literally just passed by the computer screen while i was reading about the zombie squirrel and is now demanding to have one. so, apparently, you've done something so totally and completely right. that's right, my boy wants a softie.

grumperina said...

I think it's perfect as is! For a little gore-fication, maybe use a different color for the main fabric? The light teal sends a sweet message :) Not sure if you're going for that, though.

neta said...

little zombie is so cute that way, and your story is so funny.

Alisha L said...

I think he's supercool, but perhaps a removable hat (a puffy crown -- crown royal style?) that looks like brains? A belt like intestines? A lung and kidney scarf?

Only if you think he is, in fact, missing something.

Haley said...

loved your stories about Amigo. I can picture him and kind of want to give him a hug. thanks for sharing.

kate said...

this is so amazing! i like the little zombie as he is- sweet lookin' brains!

Christy said...

I love him. I actually think that the eyes are what makes him the perfect zombie squirrel, with brain toupee or sans brain toupee...the blank eyes and stiff arm postion give hime that eerie quality

kelp! said...

I love, love, love zombie squirrel! I think he looks plenty creepy, but maybe some protruding brains would be a bit gorier?

sugarcreekstuff said...

I love the zombie squirrel as is. Loved the brains, CLEVER!

Julia said...

I think the squirrel is perfect as is. Love the sickly pastel green, the dead milky eyes, and the scalp! Awesome and funny without being super gross. You rock.

P.S. More bats please? ;)

sulu-design said...

Little Zombie is awesome. More fabulous than anything I could have imagined. The exposed brains are seriously genius.

Sarah B. said...

Dear god, I wish this was for sale. I'd be set for Christmas for my friend Sarah.

Eva said...

well, i didn't really think anything was missing... until you said something. and then it dawned on me that maybe you're missing the patterned fabric. all your other pieces seem to have a good ratio of plain to patterned fabric. on this squirrel, i only see the ears having a bit of floral pattern, so maybe you could add the same treatment as with your other creations- add a pattern that's more spooky and dark. know what i mean?