24 November 2007

but i digress

Wow, what a gorgeous day it was today. While raking leaves in the backyard with Matt, it finally hit me that I absolutely love living in New England. I think last year, when we first moved here, I was too preoccupied with things back in NYC. I was also feeling a little lost since I didn't know my way around and didn't know anyone here and was overwhelmed with the need to spruce up the space and make it our own. Now, this year, I am able to fully appreciate just how beautiful Autumn is around these parts. I am just blown away every time I leave the house. Every walk I take, every trip to Harvard Square, every errand run, every time I go to meet friends is just pure joy as I fall in love all over again with the beauty around me. *sigh*

Anyway, as you can see, this is not a post about softies. It was a toss up between sharing some pretty autumnal photo or posting about the many WIPs going on here. I opted for the foliage and to celebrate the colors and textures I see all over the place. It's a bit of digression, but you know what? As Ray Bradbury said, "Digression is the soul of wit." I use that as my line of defense when I tell a long rambling story and my friends, eager for me to get to the punchline, ask me to get to the point. I freely admit that I am the world's worst story-teller, but I'd like to think I'm a pretty decent conversationalist as having a conversation with me meanders and pretty much goes all over the place, basically leaving almost no topic uncovered. I'm trying to apply that little statement to my life, as well. I think the reason that I recently became so bored with the critters was because I needed to cover some new ground or do something completely different in order to reinvigorate myself, to recharge if you will. And by "different," I don't think I meant just making new designs or more softies. I think I needed to really do something that I hadn't done in a while, like go see live music or spend all afternoon raking leaves and gardening. I feel wonderful right now, and I am actually having a productive softie-making day.

Since I mentioned live music, we saw Dinosaur Jr. last night, and it was fantastic! I hadn't seen them play in about 12 years. J. Mascis has become the white wizard of grunge/ alt rock/ call it what you will. Speaking of which, whoever said grunge is dead was mistaken. Grunge isn't dead; it's just older now and possibly arthritic. I wonder what Mark Arm is up to these days. Back to Dinosaur, here's a funny video they did (which is probably about 20 years old at this point) which shows some softie love. Enjoy! Hope you're all having a great weekend!

2 comments:

Bea said...

Now I miss New England and its been years since I lived there. Autumn was always a favorite time of year. I love you dog, by the way!

Sonya said...

I'm a Ray Bradbury fan and am one that can get lost in my many digressions. Thanks for the great quote Maritza!