05 June 2008

...and we're back!

Soooo, long time no blog. There have been reasons for my brief leave of absence here - good reasons, in fact. Sometimes life gets busy. I hope that people will understand that. Unfortunately, when the choice is between spending my time making stuff or spending my time blogging about making stuff, actually making stuff wins hands-down. Hence, I have neglected this here blog. And perhaps I have neglected you. I'm sorry about that.

I have been thinking about doing commissions again. However, this time, there will be set rules, both for myself and the customers. The last time I did commissions, things got a little out of control. I took on too many for the time period (right before the holidays, when I was also making things for craft fairs and trying to keep the shop fully stocked), I wasn't as speedy as I would have liked to have been with them, and I under-quoted prices for projects that ended up having tons of bells and whistles. To be fair to all parties involved, I am going to come up with a pricing guideline and a few basic rules, as well as a strict schedule for myself. More info to come on that later. Please remember that right now, I am just thinking about it. Once I come to a decision, I will announce it on here ASAP, with all the rules and pricing info.

Also, I wanted to discuss shop updates. I was trying to update every other week, and for a while that was working. I don't think that this is going to work in the Summer, what with all the family obligations and travel and yes, some time off to myself so that I can rest my wrists. So I'll be announcing shop updates as they come along, as I get stuff ready and finished. The next shop update will be Monday June 9th at 3PM EST. After this one, the following will probably be in July, but I am not sure when so I am not going to promise any set date until I get a clearer idea of that myself. Going forward, I will be better about announcing it on here as well as my email list, but please bear in mind that the announcement will only come a few days before said update. I hope this doesn't inconvenience anyone, and to be honest, I don't see how it could. If you miss out on one update, the next one is never too far away. As it is, the shop has been pretty well-stocked for weeks now. So even if you miss the update on the day it happens, please do drop by and check out the shop from time to time.

By the way, just wanted to say one more thing. One of the reasons why I closed the comments on this blog a while ago was because it started to become apparent that people weren't considering the human being behind the machine, meaning no one was taking into account that the things you see on this blog are made by a human being who invests time and energy and creativity into making them. I have feelings too, and a nice comment goes a long way and can even encourage me. The comments are open now, but if someone is going to leave a comment to publicly shame me for not keeping up with the blog or updating the shop or whatnot, please note that I will delete it. I am not a huge faceless corporation with tons of employees and an assembly line. I am one person trying to make everyone happy. If I don't make you happy, well, I'm sorry, but you can address me personally at the email address I have provided on my blog sidebar and not make it a point to leave me a public shaming within the context of my own blog. I appreciate your eagerness about updates, but really now, no need for scolding messages, especially when you don't even dare sign your name onto said message. Best to scold anonymously, I know. Anyhow, like I said, I try to make everyone happy, but the truth in life is that sometimes that is just not possible. If I do make you happy, please stick around folks, there's lots of good stuff coming this way....

P.S. - You know what? I am really annoyed actually. I am only saying this because it really pisses me off when someone basically accuses me of lying. If there is one thing I am not, it's a liar. Dear Anonymous at 4:44 AM, I would have emailed you personally, but you know, you chose to remain anonymous. April 25th did indeed fall on a Friday, so when you say it was not an actual date, I have no idea what calendar you may be consulting, but you are wrong here. In fact, I even posted on here the same day that I updated the shop. I have no idea why I choose to defend myself here other than to refute the implication in your original comment, which I have taken the liberty to delete, that I lied to you or anyone else. I cannot believe that you even implied that. Seriously. It's one thing to reprimand me for being remiss or slackerly, but don't call me a liar.

12 comments:

craftoholic said...

Wow, I'm always amazed that people like that exist!
Just remember that for every ignoramus, there are so many more people who think you're awesome!

maritza said...

I feel kinda bad. I didn't mean to be bitchy and imply that person is an ignoramus, but I did want to call them out for being so dang rude. They could have just as easily asked, "Hi, when is your next update?" but instead they went on about how I failed to deliver, which was more or less meant to shame me. Anyway, thanks for your kind words. You are always an inspiration. If you ever find yourself in Boston, we have to meet up. :)

marisa said...

*shakes head in disbelief*

If you made one softie a year and decided to post it on the thirtieth of February, that would be your prerogative. Anything else is gravy. If they want a softie NOW!!, they can get their own damn sewing machine. I don't know where they're going to get your mad skillz, tho.

That's what I think about that.

maritza said...

See? This is why I should make and sell patterns. Although, I have to admit, I think people are put off by the idea of button jointing softies, and I don't blame them. Button-jointing is a pain in the butt (or actually, pain in the wrists and shoulders).

Sarah said...

I love your softies and have more than a few that live with me. My six year old son sleeps with his Zaubermause every night. :) Don't let people get you down, you have enormous talent and the art that you create touches people in ways maybe even you are not aware of. The fact that there is a little boy in this world who cannot sleep without one of your creations says a lot about the work and heart that you put into what you create.

jennie said...

um. wow. i don't even know what "button jointing" is. learn new things every day. or, more precisely, learn more of what you *don't* know every day. sheesh.

well... I think you're awesome and your softies are awe-inspiring and even if you just made them for yourself so you could have a house full of softies and then took pictures of them to brag about it (which, honestly, would be a little weird), i would still think you are great. So anonymous can shove it.

Rashida said...

Geez louise, it really makes me mad when I see people making rude comments and posting them anonymously. It's also saddening that some people don't realize or appreciate the amount of time and work it takes to come up with new designs, make a pattern, choose fabrics, cut them out, sew them up, take photos, edit photos, post them, price them, blog about them, fill orders, package them, ship them.....should I keep going? It's a lot of work and a lot of people do it all on their own. I bow to you Maritza because you rock it out and I always admire how you're able to keep your shop always updated and with such awesome work! Boo Anonymous, booooooooooooo. *steps down off of soap box* ^_^

Julia said...

As we learned from Pam's anonymous commenter experience, you can find your little "friend" if you want. Ask me how! What a jerk.

LOVE YOU!

Holly said...

every time I log on to see what you're up to, my day is brighter! even if there isn't a new post. Keep doing what you do, whenever you want to do it. And thanks for all the happy thoughts that come from seeing your work.

Crypt Stitch said...

Oh Maritza! Treat the nasties like water off a ducks back. And it's YOU that you need to make happy - when you're happy others will become so also - it's infectious! Be creative for yourself, and if we're lucky enough to be able to share some of your creativity then it is us who are honoured. And I mean honestly, who would want THAT person owing one of your precious creations anyway? Be gone with them I say - and we'll all still be here whenever you're ready to share (that's what the joy of Bloglines is all about isn't it?)

Cindibee said...

I realize I'm a lurker and a stranger.... but can I give you a hug and tell you how very sorry I am for whoever was a jerk to you? And perhaps promise to hurt them?

I've been planning on buying one of your little softies for some time now, but either haven't had the money or haven't yet seen The Perfect One sitting in the shop. But I know eventually one of your beauties will come home to me. People who can't wait for things should never get them (at least in my very strict opinion...)

Your work is always wonderful, and ALWAYS appreciated. Don't let those that would put you down get to you, because it's THEIR issue and not yours. Somehow their crappy day is your fault in their eyes. But that's their problem to deal with.

Woo, long-winded much? *scolds self*

Eva said...

wow, i'm speechless. i can't believe a person was mean like that. they must've really wanted that softie, huh?! and it's not even christmas yet... where i've heard of ppl acting despicable for that one perfect toy that's sold out everywhere and their little kid must have that toy...

i like to believe in the best in ppl, so maybe this person had some kind of story that maybe could make us understand... but since they stayed anonymous- that's kind of spineless. well i hope that anonymous person never gets one of your toys, your toys are too good for that person. don't let them get you down, just think out of all this time, it was one comment... they are not worth getting worked up over. but i know, sometimes some things are really tough to let go, especially when you try your hardest to do the right thing and make everyone happy.