21 July 2008

you can't help but laugh really


It's a good thing I am the kind of person who no matter how light I like to pack when I travel, I always bring an extra t-shirt and extra underwear because you just never know. Well, what we originally thought would be an overnight trip has turned into a four day stay in Farmington, Maine. We drove up Saturday morning so that Matt could finish up the mural he worked on during Dance Camp, and sure enough, just as we were driving into town, less than a mile away from the Citylights building, our car died. Now, it can be said that we just have crappy luck with our cars (as some friends may remember the hilarious albeit frustrating fiasco at the Canadian border for our honeymoon when the customs official went to check our trunk and our only key for the car broke in the trunk lock with all the doors locked and Mali waiting patiently inside the car - we were able to unlock everything when a female officer whose arm was very slender was able to slip her arm in through one of our open windows and unlock that door). Call it bad car-ma if you will. Maybe one of us tried to assassinate Henry Ford or something in a past life. Whatever the case may be, the fact of the matter is that the distributer died, and we're in a small town where we couldn't get a mechanic to look at it until today. Hopefully, it will be ready tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully. This is fine; the situation is pretty darn good when you think about it. It's not like we're stranded in the woods with no food and water. Hey, we even have internet access, however sporadic it may be. So we are far from suffering here. The only thing is that Matt has to miss a couple of days of work, and I am also missing a couple of days of work here. It's not like I brought my sewing machine with me or any projects to work on, either, since I didn't foresee this turn of events. Hence, I am going to be delayed on a few projects that have been in the works. Gah! Not a big deal, though. Everything is good; I'm just fighting back that slight wave of panic that hits me whenever I think of all the things that I have on my work table waiting for me to finish up by the end of the week. (I am also trying not to even think about how much this is going to set us back cash-wise. I swear, I will give myself an ulcer if I think about this right now. I can feel the acids in my stomach churning like a washing machine.) Anyhoo, that's how it goes. We may be home tomorrow night. I will post all the info regarding commissions then. In the meanwhile, the mini-mantis pictured above is Mandy, and she is just the first of several minis that will be up in the shop this summer. Hope your summer is going beautifully.

8 comments:

Erin K said...

Oh my HECK this might be the most adorable softie I've ever seen in my entire life!

Mama de Saga said...

Oh my goodness, you can not look at Mandy and not smile. What personality she has.
Sorry about the car trouble, at least you are stuck in cozy Maine.

tiennie said...

Mandy is cute! I'm sorry about the car troubles!

Rashida said...

"Car-ma?" Haw!
That was cute. ^_^
Sorry to hear about the car troubles. You obviously aren't having any trouble in the"I-make-really-frikkin'-awesome-softies" department. Mandy's rad!

sally said...

Hang in there. Car troubles suck but then so does the cash that is shelled out to pay for the car troubles. But at least you still got the gift of creating super cute softies. Hang in there.

the bowerbird said...

Oh such a gorgeous softie - love it

sulu-design said...

One of the things I love about leaving NYC: we can reasonably have a car here.
One of the things I hate about leaving NYC: we have to have a car here.
I so feel your car trouble pain. Our economic stimulus check stimulated our mechanic...
Hope you're doing okay with all of this.

Erin said...

Unfortunately I'm right there with you on the unexpected car repairs and related panic over the expense. Hope you guys get home soon (and relatively cheaply)!