22 July 2009

something kinda different

I have been working on a bunch of commissions the last couple of months. I haven't been diligent about photographing them or blogging about them. It's not very exciting, and I have little to say about them, so I don't post about them or anything. Mainly, I've been cranking them out and getting them out the door as quickly as possible. There have been a few projects lately, though, that I have truly savored and enjoyed working on immensely - so much that I have to share them with you. The little wizard and curly-headed dude puppets above are one of those commissions.

About a month or so ago, I was contacted by this guy on etsy who wanted me to make puppets for a stop-action animation film he was planning to work on for his fantasy baseball league. The whole thing sounded so unusual that naturally my curiosity was piqued. When he presented me with a list of characters, I became more intrigued. This definitely posed a challenge for me. For starters, I usually don't do "humanoid" toys or dolls. My one previous attempt at a doll was incredibly unsatisfying and downright mediocre. I wondered if I could do this and how. I took the project on because it sounded fun and forced me to do something outside of my comfort zone. And now I can say that I am super-happy that I took it on because it was a ton of fun.

The wizard was great to work on, but the curly-headed dude was the best. Trying to make a puppet in someone's likeness was totally different for me, but I think I captured the guy's expression and defining physical characteristics pretty well. I have to say, I LOVE sewing hair onto softies. Love. It. There's something quite zen about that process.

Working on this commission has inspired me to think about other possible human or humanoid dolls that I can make. But more on that soon....

4 comments:

superkitina said...

oh!! i love them!!!

craftoholic said...

Wow! They are soo cool!

a Cagey Bee said...

LOVE the curly haired dude! You did a great job.

I'm not sure if you want to take your business in that direction, but I could see customs being really popular, especially at xmas time. Imagine the orders you'd get if the mommy bloggers got customs of/for their kids!

tiennie said...

I love these! You are so talented!